On Sunday, March 5, 2017, Patrick, a 17-year-old from Spartanburg, S.C., will receive his wish from Make-A-Wish® South Carolina.
Imagine you can wish for anything in the world. Imagine you could go anywhere, be anything, meeting anyone or have anything. Now imagine you choose none of those things but instead, after battling a life-threatening illness, you wish to give back to help other kids fighting cancer. This is Patrick's story.
During treatment for osteosarcoma of the facial bone, wish kid Patrick, would walk up and down the halls of his hospital and replay in his mind fun dirt races he had watched. Fascinated by the engineering of the cars, the skills of the drivers and the sheer rawness of the track, Patrick couldn't wait until he would be out of the hospital and once again at the track with his dad and brothers experiencing the thrill of the Cherokee Speedway.
But he learned something while in the hospital. He learned that there were other children facing life-threatening medical conditions and that he was seeing the world from a new perspective. Patrick doesn't take a single day or opportunity for granted. He loves Mondays and school and his family and wants to help other kids with cancer feel that same joy, courage, and positive outlook.
To fulfill his wish, Patrick is raising funds for Clement's Kindness, a Greenville-based children's charity that provides assistance to families facing the tremendous challenges surrounding a child's cancer or blood disorder diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Hosted by Cherokee Speedway, on March 5th, a fundraiser will be held where you can support Patrick's wish. Please come out to meet Patrick, watch the race with him and most of all, help make his wish come true! If you're unable to attend, you can still give to honor Patrick’s wish by visiting his online fundraising page at: sc.wish.org/patricksfundraisingpage
WHAT: A fundraiser by Make-A-Wish kid, Patrick, at Cherokee Speedway’s March Madness race for his wish to give back to a local children’s charity
WHO should attend: Media is invited to attend for photo and B-roll ops. This event is open to the public.
- Patrick’s Charity Pick - Patrick has chosen Clement’s Kindness, a Greenville children’s charity as the recipient of his wish. Clement’s Kindness greatly impacted Patrick while he was battling osteosarcoma and it is his wish is to give back to other children going through what he did. Representatives from Clement’s Kindness will be on-site at the race.
- Fundraising Tent On-site – Make-A-Wish will have a tent setup at the track to collect donations from people who wish to give. Patrick will be present at the fundraising tent at various times throughout the event to welcome and say thank you to supporters.
- Pass The Bucket – Cherokee Speedway will also help collect donations to support Patrick’s wish by “passing the bucket” throughout the audience during the race
- Intermission Show – Patrick will speak and share his story during Intermission of the race. (Approximately 3:30pm)
- VIP Seating - A VIP seating section will be available for wish families and families impacted by Clement’s Kindness
- Special enhancements in the works for Patrick -shhh these are SURPRISES for Patrick. Please contact Crystal email@example.com for more details.
WHEN: Sunday, March 5, 2017. 12pm-5pm
WHERE: Cherokee Speedway 153 Speedway Rd., Gaffney, SC 29341
WHY: Make-A-Wish believes a wish experience can be a game-changer. We believe a wish is treatment in the form of hope, strength and joy. We encourage the community to share in the celebration of a local child’s courage and inspiration.
On-site Contact: Katlyn Gould, Wish Manager cell: 843-685-3996 and Crystal Alifanow, Communications Manager cell: 864-626-8510.
Relevant Hashtags: #PatricksWish
- Facebook/Twitter/Instagram: @MakeAWishSC
- Facebook: @ClementsKindness / Twitter: @ckindnessfund / Instagram: @clementskindness
- Facebook: @cherokeespeedway / Twitter: @Cherokee_DirtSC
Relevant Links: http://sc.wish.org/patrickswish and http://sc.wish.org/patricksfundraisingpage
About Make-A-Wish® South Carolina
Make-A-Wish® South Carolina grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. Make-A-Wish® South Carolina has never turned a qualified child away and granted 180 wishes last year. Make-A-Wish® South Carolina receives funding through private donations, individuals, companies and special events. For more information about Make-A-Wish® South Carolina, visit sc.wish.org and discover how you can share the power of a wish®.
# # #