What is the Trailblaze Challenge?
Designed as an endurance program, the Trailblaze Challenge gives participants the choice of 28.3 or 16.4 mile distances to tackle the terrain of the Foothills Trail, all in one amazing day! This is a hike, not a race, and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts. As well as being an extraordinary physical test, the real challenge is to raise much needed funds to grant the wishes of children in South Carolina with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich their lives with hope, strength and joy. By supporting the Trailblaze Challenge, you will help Make-A-Wish South Carolina grant more than 180 wishes statewide this year.
What's included in my hike experience?
- Specialized training program including a workout calendar and bi-weekly group hikes
- Training Clinics: hiking boots, socks and other trail essentials, hydration and nutrition and cross training
- Support and coaching from experienced hikers and staff
- Hotel accommodations on hike weekend in Lavonia, GA (3-days/2-nights)
- Trailblaze Challenge shirt for hike weekend
- Trailblaze Challenge bandana for training hikes & hike weekend
- Transportation to and from the trail on hike day
- Friday night pasta party to carb load before the big day
- Trail support at multiple locations throughout your journey, including hydration, snacks, first aid and encouragement
- Saturday evening post-hike celebration to share trail stories
- Sunday post-hike victory breakfast before heading home
- Inspiration through Make-A-Wish wish stories and interactions with wish families
Is there a fee to participate? Each trailblazer will be asked to raise a minimum amount of funds to cover their expenses and to help Make-A-Wish continue its mission to grant the wishes of children with critical illnesses. A $100 personal donation is requested at the time of registration and will be credited toward your overall fundraising goal.
How will I reach my goals?
Make-A-Wish will support hike participants each step of the way by providing each participant with a personalized fundraising webpage, as well as sponsorship and fundraising materials, tips and advice. Each Trailblazer will be provided with a specialized training program and will be invited to attend bi-weekly group training sessions and informal meet-ups.
When did the Trailblaze Challenge begin?
The inaugural South Carolina Trailblaze Challenge was in spring 2015.
Outdoor Ethics Make-A-Wish® South Carolina is committed to upholding the standards of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics. We aim to create a philanthrophic event that is as equally responsible as it is fun.